When Fred told me that his job was moving to San Diego, I felt like my whole world was imploding. I am an official soccer mom, and I helped run the soccer team on which my younger daughter played. My life was highly-organized, and now I saw it crumbling before my eyes. Well, I am no softy, so I knew it was time to get to work. Fred and I scoured the Internet looking at San Diego homes for sale. Over the course of a week, we found a home and negotiated a price. We moved two months later, just before the start of the fall term. When I visited the school with my daughter to sign her up for the soccer team, they told me there wouldn’t be a team this year unless they could find a new coach – the old one passed away.
Before I knew what was happening, I had uttered the fateful words: “I’ll do it”. Great, Sandy, you just moved to a new town and the first thing you do is take over a soccer team! But I didn’t panic, I got organized. Within a week, I had ten different apps on my IPhone to help me manage the team. Many of these apps overlap, and I haven’t quite decided which ones to keep and which ones to chuck. In general, the apps are free and perform a number of tasks:
- Create and manage a team roster and schedule
- Notify all the team’s players of news and announcements
- Upload team and player photos so that they can be shared
- Maintain statistics on player performance
Some of my favorites so far are:
- TeamTexting: Allows me to create a central email address that all team members can access for the latest team news. It’s a great way to keep everyone in the loop, and it’s free.
- Pinger: This does for voicemail what TeamTexting does for email. Its also free.
- TeamPages: Has all the bells and whistles. Worth paying the premium to avoid the ads.
- RedZoneLeagues: Maybe my favorite free software. It does it all, including player stats, photos and game calendars.
- eTeamz: Much like RedZoneLeagues with the addition of video highlights. You could use this to organize a whole league.
- TeamSnap: Similar to eTeamz, but it’s free.
You’ll be happy to know we won our first pre-season game. I think I’m going to like San Diego!